Friday

Nails

How long has it been? 10 hours maybe 15? The doors finally opened. The fresh breeze filtered in. I closed my eyes. It must be a sign from heaven. I opened my eyes and I saw that woman by the door. I guess I was wrong. She told us to get out of the truck. One following another we got out. Finally I saw my faceless friends. Including myself there were 5 of us. 2 were younger than I was, 1 was around the same age, and the last girl was oldest.

We were at the pier. It was very dark out. If it wasn't from the ripples in the water, I wouldn't have been able to tell between the sky and the ocean.

Sitting in front of us was a medium sized crate. The woman told us to get in.
The crate suddenly looked smaller than it did a few seconds ago.

"What you think I have all night? Get in." The woman said as she nudged her head towards the crate.
The oldest girl said "But there’s five of us, we can't fit."
"Well make it fit. Don't see any other crates here do you?"
"But we just sat in the truck for so long, and I'm so hungry..." I whined
She walked over and slapped me.
"Didn't I tell you this before you rotten pig? You eat when I tell you to eat. I DON'T like to repeat myself." She slapped me again. "Get in NOW...ugh dealing with retards."
We each went in one after another. We folded ourselves as tightly as we could. Four of us had our backs to the wall. The youngest and smallest girl was placed in the middle which helped push ours knees in closer to our bodies.
My body was sore and the new sitting position started to hurt. All of us started to murmur and not before long, most of us were crying.
"I don’t want to hear any of your noises, you hear?" said the woman. “If I hear one whimper out of this box, I promise, I won't hit you." she smiled and paused. “I will just throw this crate out into the ocean and watch you drown”
I choked up my tears. We all fell silent, except for the little one who had a harder time. Two of us quickly covered her mouth.
"Good. I'll see you in a few hours." The woman put the lid over the crate, and, soon enough, we heard the nails hammered in. One. Two. Three. Four....

No comments: