Tuesday

Morning

Ah Yee woke me up really early this morning. She said it's time to go. I could barely open my eyes and the sun has barely risen. She pulled my right elbow and dragged me out from under my sheets. The cold air raced up my stomach and spine. The prickling of my skin instantly danced around my body.
"Ah Yee, can't I go later? it’s too cold. It’s too early"
"Shut up you child. Spoiled rotten with your complaining."
Her grip on my elbow is stronger now. Her fingers turned into claws and I became her ragged doll. She pulled me outside where there was this small and dirty delivery truck waiting for me. Su su was in the driver’s seat. When he saw me he made this scornful scowl and said "Hurry up"
A woman came up to me and took my other arm. Ah Yee let go of me and the other woman dragged me to the back of the truck. She opened the door. It was dark and musty. My eyes readjusted and I could make out a few other girls were in there as well. Fear hurried through my head.

I can't go in. This isn't right. I can't go in. I can't go in. I can't go in.

The words raced through my mind over and over and over. So quickly. I couldn't think.

The woman forcefully told me to get in. When I didn't oblige she picked me up. I bent my back and screamed. I started to spatter uncontrollably "No, no!" She threw me onto the ground.

The initial impact of the fall silenced me. She came over me and slapped me hard three times.
"You listen to me. When I tell you eat, you eat. I tell you to shit, you shit. When I tell you to get into a truck, YOU get into the truck."

She grabbed my hair and pulled me up. She pushed me forward. "Get into the truck" I didn't move. I huddled closer into myself. I was so scared. It was so cold. She slapped me again. Then she immediately grabbed my hair and slammed my head against the door. "Get IN." She pushed my head forward and let go. I slowly climbed in. As she slammed the door closed, I heard her yell to Ah su "I thought you said you got a good one. She's a real bitch"

No comments: